Friday, October 22, 2010

DIWALI - The Festival of Lights...and Treats..!

Diwali  - The Festival of Lights - is the biggest of all Hindu festivals  It is a 5 day festival that marks the victory of Good over Evil. Clay lamps called 'Diyas' filled with oil are lit in the streets and homes to welcome prosperity and well-being. People wear new clothes and share sweets and snacks with their friends and families. The most exciting feature of this festival for me was Fireworks.
I remember my grandfather bought us lots of fireworks. My uncles, aunts, cousins all visited us starting at 8:00 am. My mother used to make Chavali (Black-eyed beans) Usal, Kande-Pohe, Sweet-Pohe, and there were many other snacks and sweets - Besan Ladoo, Sakhare che Ladoo (Laddo made with sugar and wheat flour), Balushahi, Coconut Barfi, Chivada, Chakali, Sev, and so on. One sweet I remember is Anarse and I loved it....! My great grand-mother made them, but how..? Anyone with the recipe for Anarse please step forward.

With Diwali coming up in the next few weeks, I thought it will be great to share a few of my favorite recipes.
Let me begin with sharing my family's all time favorite 'Beet-root Barfi' (Beetroot and Coconut Squares). My mother-in-law made this delicious Beet-root barfi, and the kids loved it because of the bright pink color. 

BEET-ROOT BARFI (Beet-root and Coconut Squares)
Ingredients 

2 cup Shredded Coconut
Few strings Saffron
¼ tsp Cardamom powder
1 ½ cup Sugar
1 tbsp Ghee or butter
1 medium Beetroot (boil, peel and grated) 

Preparation
Heat a heavy bottomed (flat) saucepan. Add shredded coconut, saffron, cardamom, sugar and grated beetroot. On a low flame keep stirring until all the ingredients are mixed well and the mixture becomes dry.
Grease a rolling board or flat plate with butter or ghee. Pour the mixture and spread it with rolling pin to your desired thickness. Let it cool for around 10mins. Then cut them into desired shape.
After it reaches room temperature (say after around 30mins or so), carefully remove the pieces and press the ends to the rolling board to make sure even ends. Store in a airtight container. Remains good for more than 15 days. 

Preparation time : 20-30 minutes

**************

So get your pots and pans ready to treat your family and friends. I will see you next time with recipes for Kande-Pohe and Sweet-Pohe.





No comments:

Post a Comment